Registration with Social Care Wales
Who are Social Care Wales?
Social Care Wales lead and support improvement in Wales by creating an environment of working together and developing new relationships across the Welsh public service.
· Their purpose is to build confidence in the workforce, lead and support improvement in social care.
· Set standards for the care and support workforce, making them accountable for their work.
· Develops the workforce so they have the knowledge, skills to protect, empower and support those who need help.
· Works with others to improve services for areas agreed as a national priority.
· Sets priorities for research to collect evidence of what works well.
· Shares good practice with the workforce so they can provide the best response.
· Provides information on care and support for the public, the workforce and other organisations.
There are three ways to register as follows:
1. Register with a qualification
For employees who have a practice qualification Level 2 or 3 in health and social care (Diploma, QCF or NVQ) or equivalent.
Check that the qualification is accepted for registration · Apply to register on SCW online.
2. Register following employee induction
This is for those employee who are new to social care can register by completing the All Wales induction framework or the Social Care Wales Principles and Values Award.
Managers will be able to support with the option which is most suitable for an employee to complete.
The All Wales induction framework for health and social care (AWIF) is a workbook based course that covers the principles, values, knowledge and skills employees need to carry out their role competently. The next steps are:
· There are five sections to the AWIF, each section contains progress logs and workbooks to support the employee in their learning.
· The employee will need to complete the workbooks and have these assessed by their manager, who will be able to provide the employee with a certificate of completion.
· Submit the certificate as evidence to support the application to register.
· Once registered, the employee will need to complete a required practice qualification by the time they have to renew their registration in three years’ time.
The Social Care Wales Principles and Values Award course and assessment (adults) is a question-and-answer workbook and online multiple-choice assessment that managers will need to nominate an employee to complete. The employee will receive an email notification of this with joining instructions. The next steps are:
· When the employee has successfully completed the course and assessment, they will submit the certificate as evidence to support the application to register and
· Renew their registration in three years.
3. Register with experience if an employee doesn’t have a required qualification
For employees who have worked for three of the past five years in a relevant social care role but have no recognised qualification. Managers will assess workers against the required competencies and provide a signed declaration to confirm your competence as a lawful, safe and effective practitioner.
· Get the employee’s competence certified by their manager.
· Once their manager has confirmed the employee’s competence then continue to apply to register.
SCW wales website information resource: https://socialcare.wales/
What is “The Code”?
The Code of Professional Practice for Social Care (the Code) sets standards, or rules, for all care professionals in Wales. Registered workers can also find practice guidance relevant to their role. Code of Professional Practice and Guidance >
The Code of Practice is an essential part of making sure all those working in social care in Wales are delivering services to a high professional standard. That’s why the Care Council is making the code available on your mobile device, so you can refer to it at any time, whether you’re in the office or out and about.
The Code of Practice for Social Care Workers sets out the high standards expected of paid staff as they go about their daily work of supporting and caring for people in our society.