Local Authority Referred Care

Making a Referral  

At Care in Hand, we receive referrals from local authorities and health boards regularly.  From the initial enquiry stage right through to a carefully designed care plan, we are dedicated to helping support every individual lead an independent life as much as possible.  

Some of the services we provide funded support include domiciliary care and supported living services. 

If a local authority or health board assess an individual as requiring a service provision, they will commission a care provider such as ourselves at Care in Hand to provide this care.  

Assessment and planning  

Your first step in the process is to request a care assessment. 

If you request an assessment on behalf of someone else that requires care, it is important that they agree to this (unless they do not have the capacity to make or communicate the decision themselves).   

Our plans are tailored to the needs of each individual and therefore we work hard from the initial outset to identify what is important to them. We recognise from our experience that their needs are unique and are therefore individual to them.  The key to maintaining their physical and mental wellbeing can often be sticking to a familiar routine.   

What is involved in the assessment?  

We will arrange an assessment to identify how the individual requiring care is coping with everyday tasks. Some of the elements we will look at will include: 

  • A review of your home 
  • A full understanding regarding what you would like to happen  
  • Identifying your needs and wishes  
  • Looking at the emotional and social side of your life 
  • Recognising your skills and abilities 
  • Understanding your views, religious and cultural background  
  • Identifying any existing support networks 
  • Becoming alert to any physical difficulties you may experience 
  • Understanding any health requirements  
Care in Hand Hands


All our care services vary in terms of cost and they are entirely dependent on each individual’s specific needs. At Care in Hand, you or your loved one’s care needs will be determined during the initial personal assessment with a care and support plan and agreed payment method agreed.  

What referral entitlements you might receive 

Each local authority in Wales has a statutory duty by law to assess every individual’s financial situation regarding the payment of care services through a means test. 

When seeking finance for care provision for yourself or a loved one, you can ask for a financial assessment, though this should be offered to you on approaching your social services department.  

The local authority may require you to contribute towards the cost of your careThis arrangement takes place between the local authority and the individual. Care in Hand will not invoice you for services funded by your local authority.  

Prior to the financial care assessment, you must ensure that you have applied or secured the benefits that you or a loved one are entitled to, as they will be included within the financial care assessment review. Certain types of income, such as money from certain disability benefits and pensions, may not be counted in the means test. This is the same for certain types of capital. All other income and capital can be taken into account. 

The assessment will not take into consideration the value of your or a loved one’s home. If you or a loved one are cohabiting with a partner; the financial situation for example income, capital, savings, trust funds, pensions etc will be calculated on an individual basis. 

The level of funding you could receive therefore will be dependent on the circumstances identified during the financial assessment.  

You can contact Pembrokeshire County Council for more information here 

For information regarding benefits and entitlements, please visit the UK government site here. 

How to make a referral to Care in Hand 

Anyone can make a referral and our highly trained management team will support you during the process. 

To enquire about any of services, you are welcome to contact us on 01834 811333.  If you would like to make a referral to one of our services, please complete our referral form here.